Frequently Asked Questions
Rules and Regulations:
- PARTICIPANTS MUST WEAR SHOES (NO SPIKED SHOES ARE PERMITTED IN THE EVENT)
- PARTICIPANTS MUST COMPLETE A WAIVER BEFORE TAKING PART OF THE EVENT.
- PARTICIPANTS SHALL NOT BE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS AND ALCOHOL WHEN COMPLETINGTHE COURSE.
- NO OUTSIDE ALCOHOL IS PERMITTED ONSITE
- NO GLASS CONTAINERS ALLOWED.
- YOUNG CHILDREN MUST BE SUPERVISED WHEN SPECTATING THE EVENT.
- PRE-RUNNING / WALKING THE COURSE, OR PRACTICING OBSTACLES PRIOR TO THE OFFICIALSTART OF THE EVENT IS GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION.
- HEADPHONES, IPODS, MP3 PLAYERS, MUSIC PLAYERS AND OTHER PERSONAL AUDIO DEVICES ARE NOT TO BE CARRIEDOR WORN AT ANY TIME BY ELITE AND COMPETITIVE CATEGORY COMPETITORS WHILE ON THE
- LITTERING ON THE COURSE IS GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION, THIS INCLUDES GEAR THE ATHLETE STARTED THE EVENT CARRYING OR WEARING.
- SPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT IS EXPECTED OF ALL COMPETITORS, AT ALL TIMES IN ALL AREAS OF THE EVENT AND COMPETITION. ‘UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT’ IS GROUNDS FOR EXPULSION
- FROM THE EVENT AND FUTURE EVENTS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF RACE OFFICIALS.
What is the Guardsman Challenge
Jamaica’s first and only official obstacle course race event! This 6-km takes participants through rugged terrain with and challenges them with over 25 obstacles such as walls, monkey bars, climbing ropes, and more! Spectators are welcome to come and cheer participants on. There will be music, food, drinks, and activities for the entire family!
Do I have to be an athelete to participate in the Guardsman Challenge
The Guardsman Challenge is an event that is accessible to all. Whether you are a beginner or an accomplished athlete. If you are looking to compete, we recommend signing up for the “Competitive Heat”, If you are just looking to have some fun with friends, colleagues or family, we recommend signing up for the “Open Heat”.
What is the Elite Heat?
The Competitive Heat will be the first heats of the day. Participants will be competing to get on the podium, win prizes, and also qualify for the OCR World Championships and the North American Obstacle Course Race Championships.
Competitive Heat participants will be given a wristband to put on prior to the start of the race. The goal is to keep the wristband. In order to do this, a participants must successfully complete all the obstacles. If a participant fails an obstacle, they are able to continue to attempt it until they are successful. If they are not able to complete the obstacle, they will have their wristband cut off and complete a penalty loop. This will not allow them to be on the podium but still will obtain a race time.
What is the difference between Elite and Open registration?
– First heat of the day
– Eligible for prizing/podium
– Mandatory obstacle completion
– Consists of any participants who are looking to compete
– Top 5 Males and Females qualify to compete in the Pro Division at the OCRWC
– Top 3 Males and Females in each age group qualify to compete in their age group at the OCRWC
– All the remaining heats throughout the morning
– Participants who are looking to run the course for fun or with a team
– Participants can assist each other with obstacles – nothing is mandatory
– Top 10 Males and Females in each age group qualify to compete in their age group at the OCRWC – not eligible for the Pro Division
What is the MINIMUM age to Participate
Participants must be 16 years of age or older to participate in the Guardsman Challenge.
What happens if I fail an obstacle?
Participants in the Competitive Heats may retry as many times as they wish in the designated retry lanes. If they are unable to successfully complete an obstacle, their wristband will be cut off and they will not be eligible for the podium or prizes.
Participants retrying must yield to participants on their first attempt.
Each obstacle will have a designated running penalty loop. If a participants fails an obstacle and does not want to attempt it anymore, they must complete a running penalty loop before they can proceed with the course.
The running penalty loop will be between 50 – 100 meters.
What does the registration fee include?
Entry to the race and participant race kit which includes a race bib, timing chip for official results, Guardsman OCR T-Shirt and Finisher Medal
What do I need to do on race day?
Once you arrive, please follow signs to the designated START area. You should put on your race bib, warm-up, hydrate, and be at the START LINE 15 minutes prior to your heat start time. Don’t forget to have fun with your friends and make sure to smile for the cameras
Can I pick up my race kit before the event?
Race packets must be collected on Thursday, July 19 – Friday, July 20 at Guardsman Group, 107 Old Hope Road, Kingston 6 between 11am – 5pm each day.
THERE IS NO RACE DAY PACKET PICK UP.
Can someone pick up my race kit for me?
You will need to send a letter to pick up for someone to pick up your race kit with their photo ID and a copy of your confirmation.
I don't want to race... can I just watch?
Spectators are more than welcome to come and cheer you on. There will be several designated spectator areas near some of the biggest obstacles. Spectator fees are $500 per person.
Can I help by volunteering?
This event would not be possible without the help of amazing volunteers.
For more information about volunteering, please contact us.
What does OCR World Championship qualifier mean?
Athletes participating in the Elite heat at the Guardsman Challenge will have the
opportunity to qualify to compete at the 2018 Obstacle Course Race World Championships (OCRWC) in London, England taking place on October 19-21, 2018 and the 2018 North American OCR Championships in Stratton, Vermont on August 10th – 12th.
What should I bring to the race?
Leave all your valuables at home! Bring your race bib, a towel and a water bottle.
What should I wear?
You should arrive in running shoes and be dressed to race! Wear clothing that you don’t mind getting wet or dirty. We suggest that you bring an extra set of clothing for after the race.
Where can I leave my stuff while racing?
There will be a bag drop available
I can no longer race, can I get a refund?
Due to the nature of the event being in support of charities, we will not be issuing any refunds for any reason. We thank you for your donation!
What if it rains on the event day?
The Guardsman Challenge will go on rain or shine. However, the race could be postponed due to extreme weather like hurricanes, torrential downpours, or lightning storms. In the exceptional event that The Guardsman OCR is cancelled due to weather, entries will remain non-refundable.